Exceptional Opportunity for Campus Health Leadership and Innovation
Florida Atlantic University (FAU) invites applications from and nominations of experienced, collaborative, patient-centered, and innovative healthcare leaders for the position of Director of Student Health Services. This is an outstanding opportunity to shape the future of a strong student health program located in a beautiful campus environment. The new director will provide leadership, vision, and administrative direction to a talented multidisciplinary staff committed to providing comprehensive and high-quality healthcare, education and public health services to a diverse student population of approximately 30,000 students.
This position requires superior team-oriented leadership, communication, and financial and administrative management skills, and the experience and stature to inspire staff and students. With a student-centered approach informing all programs and services, the new Director will engage staff in seeking opportunities for innovation in program, service, and business models while enhancing quality in all aspects of care and operations.
The Director of Student Health Services (SHS) is responsible for strategic leadership, vision, and direction, effective management, supervision, and day-to-day administration of a talented, multidisciplinary team of health care professionals and support staff on all campuses that provide comprehensive college health programs and services. Reporting to the Assistant Vice President for Health & Wellness, the Director serves on the Student Affairs Vice President’s Council and collaborates closely with colleagues throughout the Division of Student Affairs, as well as with other campus and community stakeholders to ensure the delivery of high quality health care to students in alignment with University and divisional goals, purposes, and priorities.
The Director has responsibility for the oversight and operation of:
- clinical/medical services for students,
- dental and pharmacy services for the entire FAU community,
- budget and financial administration (including insurance billing),
- strategic planning,
- policies and procedures, and
- health care risk management to ensure all state, federal, and AAAHC standards are met.
This is a full-time, 12-month administrative position located on the Boca Raton campus with responsibilities for the Davie and Jupiter campus student health services. Compensation will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. FAU offers a competitive fringe benefits package.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead, provide vision and direction for, and oversee a multidisciplinary team of health care professionals and support staff and administrative personnel.
- Supervise and manage direct reports, including, but not limited to, the Medical Director; Operations Manger, Administrative Services, Pharmacy Manager; and Dentist.
- Oversee professional development activities for SHS’ staff.
- Oversee the operating budget and all other fiscal and administrative responsibilities and facilities management.
- Direct SHS administrative operations, and establish, review, and update policies and procedures to support staff and student needs.
- Organize and lead strategic planning efforts for SHS, including ongoing strategic assessment, gap analysis, and benchmarking to support implementation of SHS priorities and ensure alignment with Student Affairs’ strategic plan.
- Direct the university domestic and international student health insurance program and the medical compliance program including immunization compliance, and insurance compliance for international students;
- Ensure continuous quality management improvement in all SHS programs and services, including active peer review and maintenance of AAAHC accreditation.
- Monitor compliance with federal, state, local and university regulations to ensure development and implementation of effective clinical and pharmacy services.
- Coordinate departmental preparation for the response to critical incidents and public health threats on campus, including management of and effective communication about public health issues.
- Establish and maintain appropriate liaisons with other University departments, federal, state, and community health agencies, and other health related resources.
- Represent and promote health services through positive public relations within the University and represent the University and SHS within the local community.
- When needed, provide direct clinical care for students according to departmental and Florida clinical practice guidelines and all other applicable regulations.
- Serve on various departmental, divisional, university, state and/or national committees.
- Candidates are required to have at least one of the following credentials: (1) a master’s degree in a health-related management field, including Business Administration, Health Administration, Public Health, Health Promotion, or a related discipline; or (2) an M.D./D.O. degree from an accredited and approved medical school, with a current unrestricted license to practice medicine in Florida, or eligibility for such license; or (3) M.S.N., Ph.D., or D.N.P. with certification in advanced practice nursing, with current unrestricted license to practice as a nurse in Florida, or eligibility for such license.
- Minimum of seven years of progressively responsible supervisory, management, and administrative experience in health care services and administration, including the design, development, and direction of health-related programs and services and responsibility for quality of medical practice and outreach, fiscal management and budget development.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement strategic objectives, motivate and develop medical and administrative staff, effectively manage resources, and cultivate strong collaborative relationships with multiple constituent groups.
- Knowledge of local and national issues, trends, and best practice standards in primary health care, college health, health insurance, and managed care, as well as of national certification and accreditation requirements.
- Proven record of success and commitment to working with issues related to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, communications and critical thinking skills are essential.
Preferred qualifications include: (1) Knowledge of and/or direct experience in college health; (2) ability to work cooperatively and effectively with other medical professionals and support staff; (3) ability to work well with students and with individuals with diverse cultural backgrounds; (4) knowledge of/experience with AAAHC Accreditation (or similar) preferred; and (5) experience with healthcare technology.
About the University
Florida Atlantic University offers students the best of everything — a world-class education in a beautiful sub-tropical setting. A comprehensive public university that is fully accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, FAU is currently serving 29,000 students at sites throughout its six-county service region in southeast Florida, with state-of-the-art student housing available on the Boca Raton and Jupiter campuses. The University’s 10 colleges offer more than 170 undergraduate and graduate degree programs.
Application Procedure and Timeline
The University has partnered with Keeling & Associates, LLC, in this search process. Application materials should include a resume/curriculum vitae and a letter of interest and must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line of the email should read “FAU – Director of SHS.” A confidential review of applications will begin on December 15, 2017 and all materials submitted by December 22, 2017 will receive full consideration. Consideration of applicants will continue until the appointment is made.
Nominations, expressions of interest, and requests for confidential conversations about the position prior to application are welcome and should be directed to Dr. Jan Walbert (jwalbert@KeelingAssociates.com), the K&A senior consultant leading this search.
Florida Atlantic University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action/equal access institution and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veterans status or other protected status.
FAU is committed to the principles of engaged teaching, research and service. All persons aspiring to achieve excellence in the practice of these principles are encouraged to apply.