Ithaca College is pleased to announce the national search for the newly created position of Executive Director for Student Wellness. Embracing the institutional commitment to meet the growing physical, psychological, and behavioral health needs of Ithaca’s student body, the Executive Director will establish a framework and strategy for building and advancing a visionary, forward-thinking approach to providing a fully integrated student wellness model comprised of Counseling and Psychological Services, Health Services, and Health Promotion.
In recruiting for the Executive Director, Ithaca seeks an experienced and collaborative healthcare professional to engage the College community to ensure the effective delivery of outstanding health, counseling/mental health, and wellness services to Ithaca students. This position requires a strategic-minded leader with a strong appreciation for working in a team environment and overseeing a highly dedicated staff in support of an inter-professional approach to care and services. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated commitment to outstanding, student-centered healthcare in higher education and a significant and visible record of being an innovative leader and effective administrator with a commitment to inclusive excellence.
About Ithaca College
Founded in 1892, Ithaca College is a residential college dedicated to building knowledge and confidence through a continuous cycle of theory, practice and performance. Home to over 6,500 students, the college offers more than 100 degree programs in its schools of Business, Communications, Humanities and Sciences, Health Sciences and Human Performance, and Music. Students, faculty and staff at Ithaca College create an active, inclusive community anchored in a keen desire to make a difference in the local community and the broader world. The college is consistently ranked as one of the nation’s top producers of Fulbright scholars, one of the most LGBTQ+ friendly schools in the country, and one of the top 10 colleges in the Northeast. Nestled in the heart of New York State’s scenic Finger Lakes region, Ithaca College sits atop South Hill overlooking picturesque Cayuga Lake and is just minutes away from the city center. Combining small town warmth and charm with the vibrancy of a college community, the thriving and culturally diverse city of Ithaca has been rated by Kiplinger’s as one of the top 10 places to live in the United States. To learn more, please visit: www.ithaca.edu.
The Executive Director will provide strategic leadership, long-term vision, and direction as the administrator responsible for all aspects of a multidisciplinary approach to student wellness. This position reports directly to the Vice President for Student Affairs and Campus Life (Vice President) and will collaborate closely with colleagues throughout the Division of Student Affairs and Campus Life, as well as with other campus and community stakeholders to ensure the delivery of high-quality health, counseling/mental health, and wellness services in alignment with institutional goals, purposes, and priorities. The Executive Director, in consultation with the Vice President and other key stakeholders, will champion the provision of comprehensive, collaborative, and integrated care to undergraduate and graduate students.
The Executive Director will provide senior-level leadership to effectively advocate for, organize, and deliver appropriate health and wellness services; and will lead, direct, and facilitate collaboration among all staff in Counseling and Psychological Services, Health Services and Health Promotion. This position is responsible for all of the administrative functions of Counseling & Psychological Services, Health Services and Health Promotion – including budgetary, financial, management, and planning authority. In addition, the Executive Director is responsible for the oversight of personnel, including supervision of Director of Counseling and Psychological Services, Director of Medical Services, and Program Director for Health Promotion.
- Provide leadership, vision, direction, and management of administrative and development aspects of Counseling and Psychological Services, Health Services, and Health Promotion, including leading and facilitating the transition to a fully comprehensive and integrated model.
- Promote and maintain a culture of intentional collaboration and integration to promote teamwork and enhance the provision of excellent care and high satisfaction.
- Organize and lead an ongoing strategic planning and assessment process for Counseling and Psychological Services, Health Services, and Health Promotion.
- Develop, demonstrate, and cultivate an inclusive, diverse and respectful College community; communicate to employees an expectation of behavior that is inclusive when interacting with all staff, faculty, students and visitors to promote a flexible, collaborative and inclusive work and living environment.
- Assess resource needs and develop budget recommendations; oversee acquisition and use of current technology and capital equipment; monitor physical facilities and oversee the coordination of requests for needed repairs and renovations; obtain and oversee use of grant funding for programs.
- Provide guidance and direction in planning, implementing, coordinating and evaluating an effective campus-wide health promotion and educational outreach program to reduce harm associated with alcohol and drug use among Ithaca College students; and promote campus wide awareness of health and mental health issues such as sexually transmitted diseases, eating disorders, depression, and anxiety.
- Provide guidance and direction around personnel recruitment, training, supervision, and evaluation.
- Provide guidance and direction around hiring, merit recommendations, promotions, performance evaluations, and vacation schedules for direct reports.
- Assess the needs of student population on campus regarding counseling/education on a regular basis; compile and disseminate to appropriate college administrators the results of surveys, and/or interviews. Respond to parent concerns regarding students.
- Give direction to the efforts of Counseling and Psychological Services, Health Services, and Health Promotion in developing programs, workshops, training sessions, and classroom presentations designed to promote mental health and medical care utilization on campus; oversee and direct marketing efforts to reach the broadest audience; oversee and maintain development and maintenance of the center webpage.
- Ensure effective and confidential use of the electronic medical records systems.
- Monitor trends in college health policy and practice regionally and nationally, and integrate best practices and innovative approaches as appropriate.
- Ensure compliance with relevant federal and state laws. Serve as a knowledgeable resource for regulatory and statutory requirements, licensing requirements and accreditation standards.
- Serve on the executive leadership team for Student Affairs and Campus Life; establish and maintain close collaborations with campus partners; and serve on relevant committees within and outside of Student Affairs and Campus Life.
- Master’s degree in Health Administration, Public or Community Health, Business or Public Administration, Counseling, Psychology, Education or a related field; or a Medical Degree.
- At least seven years of relevant progressive leadership and professional experience that includes demonstrated success in the management and supervision of health, mental health, or health promotion services, or a closely related area of health care practice and administration.
- Knowledge of integrated care and ability to effectively implement and lead an integrated model of health and counseling.
- Proven record of success and commitment to working with issues related to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Knowledge of local, regional and national issues, trends, and best practice standards in primary health care, health promotion and prevention, mental health, health insurance, and managed care, as well as of national certification and accreditation requirements.
- Current understanding of health care confidentiality, risk management, and legal practices.
- Experience in budget and personnel management in a healthcare environment.
- Experience with Electronic Health Records.
- Genuine appreciation for student development theory and a holistic, multidisciplinary approach to student health.
- Demonstrated excellent leadership, communication, interpersonal, and public speaking skills, including the ability to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Doctoral degree in an appropriate field.
- Ten years of progressive experience in higher education leadership.
- Understanding of and direct experience in a college or university setting.
- Experience leading organizational change.
Application Procedure and Timeline
Ithaca College has partnered with Keeling and Associates, LLC (K&A) in this search process. Applications should include a cover letter and resume/curriculum vitae and must be sent, preferably in PDF format, to recruiting@KeelingAssociates.com. The subject line of the email should read “Ithaca – Executive Director.” A confidential review of applicants is underway and will continue until an appointment is made. All applicants received by April 10, 2019 will receive full consideration.
Confidential inquiries and nominations should be addressed to Dr. Jan Walbert, Vice President and Senior Consultant for Executive Search, Keeling & Associates, at jwalbert@KeelingAssociates.com.
Ithaca College is committed to building a diverse academic community and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply. Experience that contributes to the diversity of the college is appreciated.
To download the position profile, Click here.