The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), a premier public institution in the heart of New York City, is seeking an innovative, dynamic, experienced, and caring leader to serve as the Vice President for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management. FIT is an internationally recognized college for design, fashion, art, communications, and business, and is proud to be part of the State University of New York (SUNY). FIT’s mission is to prepare students for excellence and leadership in the creative industries, through fostering independent thinking, collaboration, and unconventional perspectives that will upend the status quo and have a lasting global impact. This Vice President will be responsible for leading a team charged with creating strategies and programs that attract, enroll, engage, and support the success of students in a manner that aligns with the institution’s values and mission.
The Vice President will provide visionary leadership in the design and implementation of a premier student experience, from recruitment to graduation, with a deep understanding of the critical elements needed to ensure a quality student experience as a part of success and retention strategies. The Vice President must: understand the anticipated recruitment trends and challenges; possess the ability to implement best practices and innovative methods to ensure that students receive high quality services and support; and demonstrate the experience to navigate a high-profile position, both internally and externally, engaging with a variety of constituencies and partners across the institution, region, and nation. The successful candidate will be an astute and inspiring leader who possesses the ability to manage a large, committed, and dynamic team across a variety of roles and functions.
Serving a diverse student body that represents a broad range of identities in a vibrant and exciting city, FIT is committed to promoting an inclusive community. The Vice President must possess a sophisticated understanding of equity and inclusion frameworks and be able to demonstrate their commitment to developing and maintaining an environment in which all staff feel valued, and all students feel a welcoming sense of belonging. To further FIT’s work in this area, a Social Justice Center has been established, and the new VP will play a role, along with other campus leaders, in ensuring the Center’s success.
Reporting directly to the President, and an integral member of the President’s Cabinet, the Vice President oversees a diverse and talented staff that includes both administrators, staff, and non-classroom faculty. This role works very closely with the Associate Vice President for Student Success and Dean of Students on the vision and execution of all activities, programs, functions, and support services related to the goals of the Student Affairs departments and with the Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management on the vision and execution of all activities and functions related to the Enrollment Management departments. The Vice President directly supervises the two AVPs and, through the AVPS, has general oversight and responsibility for eleven different departments including Admissions (undergraduate and graduate), Financial Aid, Registrar, Athletics and Recreation, Counseling Center, Disabilities Support Services, Educational Opportunity Programs, Health Services, International Student Services, Residential Life, and Student Life.
The Vice President will lead strategic planning efforts to attract and enroll a highly qualified student body and implement co-curricular programs that will enhance the student and residential experience on campus. The next Vice President must be committed to collaborating with their staff, other senior College leaders, and key off-campus partners in order to meet the goals of the position and the institution.
Founded in 1944, FIT prepares students for professional excellence in design and business through rigorous and adaptable academic programs, experiential learning, and innovative partnerships. FIT fosters creativity, career focus, and a global perspective and educates its students to embrace inclusiveness, sustainability, and a sense of community. FIT’s vision is to be a globally celebrated institution where students, scholars, and researchers cross traditional disciplinary boundaries to stimulate innovation, partner with creative industries worldwide, and develop innovative design and business solutions. By focusing on the three major goals, FIT will become stronger by conscious design and be known as a strategic organization—one that applies available resources to the greatest effect to achieve its vision. Today, the campus encompasses an entire city block in heart of New York City and serves more than 10,000 students from all over the world. The college offers Associate’s, Bachelor’s, and Master’s degrees in diverse subjects, such as Menswear and Cosmetics and Fragrance Marketing, which are unique to the college, and Fashion Business Management, Spatial Experience Design, and Toy Design, the first of their kind in the country.
- A Master’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- A minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible senior-level experience in
Student Affairs and/or Enrollment Management.
- Comprehensive experience managing all aspects of student life that support enrollment and retention;
- Experience with and commitment to an enhanced and well-rounded student experience both in the academic and campus life areas, including a focus on mental health, residential life, and other resources for the health and wellness of the student body;
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and collaboration with other College departments on programming for a diverse student body;
- Ability to develop a highly collaborative working environment to achieve both individual, divisional, and College-wide goals;
- Experience developing and implementing College-wide and divisional strategic plans;
- Highly developed communication style that seeks consensus and collaboration;
- Strong sense of personal and professional integrity as well as a tolerance for differing points of view;
- Demonstrated knowledge of enrollment processes and trends in order to support the creation and implementation of proven strategies to attract and enroll undergraduate and graduate students in degree programs and credit-bearing non-degree courses;
- Experience working with enrollment management systems, student information systems, and/or other institutional student-centered databases;
- Understanding of marketing and the development of cutting-edge strategies that support the goals of the College; and
- Ability to manage numerous and complex budgets that impact the financial stability of the College.
- Experience working in a large public higher education system;
- Ability and experience managing in a union environment;
- Experience leading Student Affairs and Enrollment Management policies, processes, and functional areas;
- Implementation of state and federal financial aid and institutional/corporate scholarships.
The Fashion Institute of Technology has partnered with Keeling & Associates in this search process. Applications should include a cover letter and resume and must be sent, preferably in PDF format, to recruiting@KeelingAssociates.com. The subject line of the email should read “FIT-VPSAEM.” Confidential inquiries and nominations should be addressed to Jeff Ewing, Senior Consultant for Executive Search, Keeling & Associates, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications received by August 12, 2022, will receive full consideration.
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual’s ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military service status, genetic information, pregnancy, familial status, citizenship status (except as required to comply with law), or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals. Applications from minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged. Inquiries regarding FIT’s non-discrimination policies may be directed to the Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, 212 217.3360, email@example.com.