Tulane University is pleased to invite applications and nominations for the position of Director, Health Promotion and Prevention Services. Tulane seeks a dynamic, visionary, and collaborative leader to oversee and impact the trajectory of a robust and evolving campus health and wellness program that embraces a holistic and social justice-oriented approach to creating a healthier campus. The Director will lead The Well for Health Promotion (The Well), which provides resources, programs and services that help Tulane students make healthy choices in support of their academic, personal, and professional goals.
Reporting to the Assistant Vice President of Health and Wellness, the Director will ensure that Tulane is on the cutting edge of research-informed wellness education, harm-reduction initiatives, and prevention and intervention strategies. Successful candidates will have a broad understanding of college health trends, a demonstrated record of implementing best practices and innovative methods; the ability to engage with stakeholders across the institution to facilitate partnerships; and a strategic public health approach to leading and assessing a comprehensive institutional effort to address and prevent high-risk areas such as alcohol and other drugs and sexual violence. In addition, the University is seeking an inspiring leader who will promote a positive and inclusive climate for a collaborative and forward-thinking team.
Located in the unique and iconic city of New Orleans, Tulane is a highly regarded and selective independent research university, a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU), and offers undergraduate, graduate, and professional degrees in the liberal arts, science and engineering, architecture, business, law, social work, medicine, and public health.
The Director, Health Promotion and Prevention Services leads campus-wide stakeholders in developing a comprehensive, multidisciplinary approach to improving student health and well-being by forming cross-functional teams. The Director provides strategic direction and administrative oversight for The Well for Health Promotion. This position coordinates Campus Health’s continuous quality improvement (CQI), surveillance, and assessment efforts.
The Director supervises The Well’s staff and the Campus Health Services Data Analyst. This position is part of the leadership team for Campus Health and Wellness Services, and serves as deputy to the AVP, Campus Health and Wellness. Campus Health Services is fully accredited by the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC) and serves more than 13,000 students.
- Leads campus-wide stakeholders in developing a comprehensive, multidisciplinary approach to improving student health and well-being.
- Provides leadership in the campus community and mobilizes key stakeholders for collective action to decrease high-risk health behaviors.
- Determines priority health areas that have the greatest influence on improving student health status and well-bring.
- Develops cross-functional teams and comprehensive strategic plans to address these priority areas.
- Provides leadership for campus-wide stakeholders on the public health approach and processes.
- Sets measurable goals and targets and identifies benchmark resources.
- Monitors and reports high-risk health behaviors over time.
- Secures long-term human, fiscal, political, and technological resources necessary to carry out the strategic plans.
- Assesses progress toward team-level process goals.
- Demonstrates professionalism and maintains cooperative working relationships.
Leadership and Management:
- Provides strategic direction and administrative oversight for The Well for Health Promotion.
- Recruits, hires, trains, supervises, and evaluates The Well’s staff.
- Works with The Well’s staff to develop strategic plans, goals, and measurable objectives for the department.
- Supervises the planning, implementation, and evaluation of theory-based and evidence-informed health promotion and prevention initiatives based on the needs of the campus community, including general areas of need not covered by other staff.
- Ensures that The Well’s initiatives utilize a sound public health approach and adheres to the standards of practice for the field.
- Collaborates with key administrators and other colleagues across campus as necessary to provide health-related consultation services and public health functions.
- Directs the preparation of The Well’s budget and ensures that departmental needs are met within the limitations presented by the budget.
- Participates in personnel decisions regarding members of The Well’s staff.
- Ensures that policies, procedures, and guidelines for delivery of all services are adequate in scope, represent state-of-the-art knowledge in the field, and are easily accessible by staff.
- Ensures that national accreditation standards for ambulatory care facilities are met.
Continuous Quality Improvement:
- Coordinates Campus Health Services’ continuous quality improvement (CQI), surveillance, and assessment efforts.
- Recruits, hires, trains, supervises, and evaluates the Campus Health Services Data Analyst.
- Leads the Campus Health Services CGI Workgroup in developing and implementing a strategic plan for CQI, oversee and monitor CQI activities, and provides Team members with necessary training on the CQI process.
- Directs the development, implementation, and analysis of population-based assessments of student health status and behavior, and campus needs and assets.
- Assists Campus Health Services staff with the development, implementation, and analysis of assessments to measure the effectiveness of interventions.
- Collaborates with academic faculty on joint research initiatives.
- Coordinates Campus Health Services data sharing with collaborators as appropriate.
- Works as a team member as part of the Campus Health and Wellness Leadership Team.
- Collaborates with the AVP of Campus Health and Wellness to facilitate strategic planning for the department’s goals and objectives.
- Collaborates with Campus Health and Wellness Services colleagues in performance duties and maintains a trusting and collegial working relationship with all mental health staff, physicians, nursing staff and ancillary support staff.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of medical, counseling, and other referral resources available to serve students in the Tulane community.
- Serves on committees/task forces as requested and participates in professional group meetings to advance and contribute to the field of public health/health promotion and education.
Emergency Preparedness and Response:
- Serves as member of the department and divisional crisis response team and as a member of the University’s Essential Personnel.
Protection of Patient Privacy and Health Information:
- Complies with all Tulane University Campus Health privacy and policy procedures.
- Protects all Confidential Health Information in any form including spoken, written, or electronic form. Specifically, it will never be given, nor confirmed to anyone who is not authorized under the TUCH policies or applicable law to receive such information.
- Limits the use, disclosure, and requests of confidential health information to the minimum amount of information necessary to accomplish the purpose of the use, disclosure, or request.
- Reports promptly any concern or known violation of TUCH privacy and policy procedures.
- Completes all required privacy trainings by the requested deadline.
Quality Improvement and AAAHC Standards:
- Performs according to AAAHC guidelines and Campus Health/Department standards, informed by regular review of Policies & Procedures.
- Maintains active licensure and credentialing, including through pursuing continuing education as outlined by licensing bodies and per discipline’s best practices and peer review activities (where appropriate to role).
- Contributes to Continuous Quality Improvement initiatives by providing appropriate input and data, and revising practices, as required.
- Performs other duties as requested or required, whether or not specifically mentioned in this job description.
Required Education and Experience:
- Master’s Degree in Public Health, Health Education, or a related field
- Minimum of 5 years of directly related experience.
- Minimum of 3 years of supervisory experience
- Master Certified Health Education Specialist (MCHES), Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES), Certified in Public Health (CPH), or eligible and intent to become certified.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities/Competencies:
- Extensive knowledge of current and emerging college health issues, environmental management/prevention strategies, health behavior change theories and ecological framework, and evidence-based practice, as well as ability to apply this knowledge to college-age population through assessment, program planning, implementation, and evaluation.
- Extensive knowledge of research methods and continuous quality improvement processes.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize a variety of health communication strategies.
- Proficiency in community needs assessment including survey design, environmental scans, and other qualitative/quantitative methods and translating assessment results into action.
- Demonstrated leadership skills that facilitate effective communication and interpersonal relationships with students, faculty, staff, and administration.
- Ability to work successfully with a diverse community and provide services from a non-judgmental perspective.
- High level of organizational skills and proven record of delivering quality results in a timely manner. Ability to manage projects and deliver results.
- Excellent computer skills. Must be proficient in MS Word, PowerPoint, and Excel, and experienced in desktop publishing and SPSS or similar, willing to learn new programs.
- PhD in Public Health or a related health field.
- 6 or more years of work experience in health promotion program planning, implementation, and evaluation in the higher education setting.
- 6 or more years of experience supervising professional staff.
- Equivalent combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate.
- Demonstrated grant seeking and writing skills, grant administration experience.
Application Procedure and Timeline
Tulane University has partnered with Keeling & Associates, LLC, in this search process. Application materials should include a resume and a letter of interest and must be sent to email@example.com. The subject line of the email should read “Tulane–Director of HPPS.” The review of application materials will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled; we encourage submitting application materials no later than November 2, 2023, to receive full consideration.
Those interested in submitting nominations or in having a confidential discussion before applying should contact K&A Consultant Dr. Shadia Sachedina: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
Please Note: Tulane University has officially adopted a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy. All employees and visiting faculty must be fully vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccination or obtain approval for a medical or religious exemption prior to beginning employment.
Tulane University is located in New Orleans – a city with tremendous history of diverse cultures, community, and languages. Tulane is actively building a campus culture grounded in our values of EDI and anti-racism. We seek and welcome candidate applications from historically underrepresented groups, such as BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Color), women, LGBTQ+, and those living with disabilities as well as veterans.
Tulane University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution committed to excellence through diversity. Tulane University will not discriminate based upon race, ethnicity, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, marital status, military or veteran status, or any other status or classification protected by federal, state, or local law. All eligible candidates are encouraged to apply.
Download a copy of the position profile, click here.