Seeking Dedicated and Inspirational Campus Health Leadership
San Diego State University (SDSU) is pleased to invite applications for the position of Director of Student Health Services (SHS). SDSU is seeking an experienced, collaborative, patient-centered, and innovative healthcare leader for the position. This is an outstanding opportunity to shape the future of a comprehensive, AAAHC-accredited, student health center located in a beautiful campus environment. The new director will provide leadership, vision, and administrative direction to an experienced multidisciplinary staff committed to providing high-quality, convenient, student-focused medical care to a diverse student population of approximately 35,000 students.
The successful candidate will demonstrate superior team-oriented leadership, a commitment to collaboration, strong financial and administrative management skills, and the experience and ability to inspire, motivate, and communicate effectively with SHS staff, Student Affairs colleagues, other campus partners, and specifically SDSU students. With a student-centered approach informing all programs and services, the new Director will engage staff in seeking opportunities for innovation in program, service, and business models while enhancing quality in all aspects of care and operations. The Director must demonstrate excellent cultural competence and sensitivity, and the ability to work well with and support diverse groups to ensure that the services are inclusive and meet the needs of all community members. In addition, the Director should possess knowledge and understanding of complex organizations and the principles of organizational sustainability, which is inclusive of budget and human resources.
The Director of Student Health Services is responsible for the effective management, direction, planning, administration, organization and evaluation of the various medical programs and services offered through SHS in support of the students at San Diego State University. Reporting to an Associate Vice President for Student Affairs (AVP), the Director works closely with the AVP regarding mission, goals and programs, outreach services, staff development, budget, personnel, resource management, assessment, sustainability and overall direction of the SHS. The Director collaborates closely with colleagues in the departments of Well-being and Health Promotion, Counseling and Psychological Services, and the Student Ability Success Center, as well as others throughout the Division of Student Affairs to ensure the delivery of high-quality health care to students in alignment with University and divisional goals, purposes, and priorities.
The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Other key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide visionary leadership and direction for the department and foster continued support of a health campus community and specifically student-centered health care.
- Organize and lead short- and long-term strategic planning for organizational sustainability, program goals, and operating procedures for SHS in alignment with its mission.
- Oversee staff management and accountability, including staff selection, orientation, supervision, training, professional development and evaluation.
- Supervise and evaluate the SHS Management team which includes, but is not limited to Associate Director for Budget and HR, Medical Director, Nursing Supervisor and Lab Supervisor.
- Effectively and efficiently oversee and manage all department administrative responsibilities and program resources (e.g. budget, personnel, and facilities).
- Monitor and ensure compliance with all accreditation standards, license requirements, and state laws and regulations pertaining to the practice of medicine, and related standards for the management of all aspects of services provided.
- Ensure measures for continual review and assessment of programs to adapt to changing student and University needs as warranted.
- Develop and implement policies to ensure continued compliance with all appropriate federal, state, local and university regulatory requirements.
- Serve as a liaison and represent and promote health services through positive public relations within the University and represent the University and SHS within the local community.
- Serve as representative on a variety of departmental, divisional, university, state and or/national committees.
- An advanced degree or doctorate in health care administration, public health, educational health administration, a medical discipline, or a related field.
- A minimum of seven years of professional leadership and management experience in a comparable health services or university program or a medical degree with three years administrative experience.
Preferred qualifications include: (1) experience in a student health care setting or primary care with similarly aged populations in a related area of primary care practice and administration; (2) knowledge of local, state, and federal regulations including HIPAA, FERPA, Mandated Reporting, and the Jeanne Clery Act pertaining to health care delivery systems; (3) knowledge and understanding of budgeting and financial management principles and practices related to health care in a public institution setting; and (4) experience with healthcare technology.
San Diego State University
Now in its 121st year, SDSU can take pride in more than a century of achievement in education, research, and service. SDSU is a nationally ranked university and in the top 70 public universities in US News and World Report’s annual ranking of America’s Best Colleges. SDSU ranked No. 8 nationally for the number of students studying abroad and in the top 25 for ethnic diversity. In fiscal year 16/17, SDSU’s faculty secured $134 million in public and private research funding. Renowned for academic excellence, the University is home to top-ranked graduate programs and offers 91 undergraduate majors, 76 master’s programs, and 22 doctoral degree programs.
Compensation and Benefits
San Diego State University will offer a competitive salary based on the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate. San Diego State University also offers a rich benefits package that includes:
- Extensive leave benefits: 14 paid holidays, 24 vacation days, and 12 sick days per year
- Retirement security through a CalPERS defined benefit pension and retiree healthcare benefits
- An array of health, dental and vision coverage at no- or low-cost to the employee
- California State University system fee reduction program (fee waiver) for employee or qualified dependent
See our benefits page for comprehensive information on our robust benefits
SDSU has partnered with Keeling & Associates, LLC, in this search process. Application materials should include a resume/curriculum vitae and a letter of interest and must be sent, preferably as PDFs, to K&A at email@example.com. The subject line of the email should read “SDSU — Director, SHS.”
A confidential review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the appointment is made. All materials submitted by March 18, 2019 will be given full consideration. Nominations, expressions of interest, and requests for confidential conversations about the position prior to application are welcome and should be directed to Dr. Jan Walbert (jwalbert@KeelingAssociates.com), the K&A senior consultant leading this search.
San Diego State University is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, disability, pregnancy, medical condition, or covered veteran status. A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the California State University (CSU). Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for this position.
To download the position profile, Click here.