The Claremont Colleges Services (TCCS) is seeking applications and nominations for the position of Director of Student Health Services. This is an important leadership role requiring a dynamic, collaborative, and experienced physician to provide excellent clinical and administrative direction for TCCS Student Health Services. The Director will oversee a multidisciplinary and student-oriented staff dedicated to delivering high quality, efficient, and culturally competent programming and services to meet the health and wellness needs of all students at The Claremont Colleges.
The Claremont Colleges Services (TCCS) is the shared services organization supporting a highly regarded cluster of seven independent colleges known as The Claremont Colleges located in Southern California. TCCS is committed to offering a work environment that is supportive, collaborative, accountable and enjoyable. TCCS offers generous time off benefits, employer-paid retirement contributions, tuition remission benefits and professional development opportunities. This is a year-round position with breaks based on the academic calendar.
Successful candidates will have a strong record of blended clinical and medical administrative experience, evidence of innovation in service delivery, and knowledge of public health and wellness related issues affecting universities and their student populations. Candidates must have demonstrated the ability to develop and implement strategic objectives, motivate and develop medical, clinical, and administrative staff, effectively manage budgets and resources, and cultivate strong collaborative relationships with Monsour Counseling and Psychological Services and other key constituent groups. In addition, candidates should have a demonstrated ability to work well with a globally diverse student body and the understanding of a complex healthcare market place as exists in Southern California.
About The Claremont Colleges
The Claremont Colleges, a consortium of five undergraduate liberal arts colleges and two graduate institutions, is reminiscent of the Oxford-Cambridge model. The undergraduate colleges include Pomona College, Scripps College, Claremont McKenna College, Harvey Mudd College, and Pitzer College. The two graduate institutions are Claremont Graduate University and Keck Graduate Institute.
Each academic institution has its own president, its own students and faculty, and its own distinctive mission. The seven independent institutions offer rigorous curricula, small classes, distinguished professors, and personalized instruction in a vibrant residential college community that provides intensive interaction between students and faculty. Undergraduate students may choose from more than 2,000 courses offered each year across the colleges. With 7,700 students and 3,600 faculty and staff, located on more than 560 acres of land, the consortium generates an endless variety of intellectual, cultural and social activities.
Reporting to the Vice President for Student Affairs, the Director of Student Health Services (SHS) provides strategic direction, leadership, and oversight of all medical administration and clinical care, including supervision of all clinical protocols and procedures at TCCS. This position also provides direct outpatient primary medical care to students. Responsibilities of this position are approximately 50% clinical and 50% administrative.
Clinical Supervision Responsibilities (30%)
- Supervise and direct all clinical staff, including physicians, nurse practitioners, registered nurses, medical assistants, and administrative professionals
- Supervise the Health Education Outreach Coordinator and provide that person with information on health and wellness issues
- Ensure protocols and procedures are in compliance with medical practices and appropriate laws, rules and regulations
- Annually review clinical protocols prior to final approval by the clinical staff
- Perform annual chart reviews for the nurse practitioners
- Supervise nurse practitioner dispensing practices
- Develop in–service programs on protocols and procedures for the clinical staff
- Supervise the radiography unit
- Supervise the laboratory (CLIA–waived tests)
- Supervise the Keck Graduate Institute School of Pharmacy Faculty and Student Program
- Oversee the SHS Wellness Room at Pomona College
- Perform bi-annual performance evaluations for the clinical staff
Clinical Responsibilities (50%)
- Evaluate, examine, diagnose, and make recommendations for treatment of acute and chronic medical illnesses and minor surgeries
- Perform minor surgical procedures including suturing lacerations, removing foreign bodies, wart treatment, and other procedures as required
- Provide comprehensive health services necessary to meet the needs of a college population including cancer screenings and sexual health evaluation and counseling (e.g. STI evaluation, contraceptive methods, pregnancy testing)
- Educate students regarding their illnesses, preventive health care and other subjects as requested
- Make appropriate referrals for hospitalization or subspecialty care in the community
- Review medical records and laboratory studies
- Request appropriate X–rays
- Perform entrance, athletic, pre-matriculation, e