UC Merced invites applications and nominations for the position of Assistant Vice Chancellor for Health and Wellness/Medical Director (AVC/Medical Director). This is an exceptional career opportunity for an experienced physician to lead all aspects of comprehensive and integrated student health and counseling services. The AVC/Medical Director will join UC Merced at a time of tremendous opportunity, strengthening the integration of Student Health Services, Counseling and Psychological Services, and Health Promotion programs throughout the University within a caring and compassionate campus community with strong support and dedication to holistic, student-centered health.
In recruiting for the AVC/Medical Director, UC Merced seeks an experienced, collaborative, and inspirational physician leader, with a demonstrated commitment to students’ health and wellbeing, learning, and personal and academic success. Equally important is having a holistic systems perspective with regard to mental health, health promotion, prevention, and treatment of illness and injury; and the disposition to advocate effectively for students and partner with other Student Affairs departments and programs, students, faculty, and the community of local health professionals. The AVC/Medical Director must be a capable, supportive, and influential University citizen whose priorities are aligned with institutional goals, purposes, and priorities.
UC Merced is located in the Central Valley of California, offering a very affordable cost of living in a rapidly growing and developing region of the state. Merced is a community dedicated to the agricultural priorities of the region, while supporting an emerging agricultural-tech industry and an expanding arts and culture scene. Its central location provides outstanding opportunities for outdoor excursions, (1.5 hours from Yosemite Park,) and easy access to main urban areas in California (2 hours to Sacramento or the Bay Area, 4 hours to Los Angeles).
Reporting to and under the direction of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs, the AVC/Medical Director has responsibility for the strategic leadership, vision, effective management, supervision, and administration of the departments of the departments of Student Health Services (SHS), Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) and Health Promotion. The AVC/Medical Director provides clinical leadership, supervision of professional health care providers, medical administration, direct patient care, and provides leadership and direction in the areas of accreditation, strategic planning, compliance, budgeting, student success, and cultural diversity. As a member of the Vice Chancellor’s leadership team, the AVC/Medical Director provides advice, guidance, and assistance to the Vice Chancellors and the Chancellor, and represents the campus in campus-wide and system-wide meeting and discussions.
Administrative and Strategic (25%)
- Supervision of management, professional, and technical positions including but not limited to: the Director of Health Promotions, the Director of CAPS, the Operations Manager of SHS, and oversight of the SHS and CAPS.
- Responsible for the operation and performance of all activities of SHS and CAPS: including comprehensive outpatient medical and mental health services, student health insurance, campus mental health outreach and consultation services, health education programs, campus public health, and health services for intercollegiate athletics.
- With the Vice Chancellor, provides leadership for advancing the Division’s strategic initiative on student success; and provides strategic planning to meet the needs of the campus in alignment with the campus growth.
- Ensures operations are functioning efficiently and effectively through supervision of subordinates. Manages a variety of management, professional and technical positions within the operation.
- Determines the mission, goals and objectives of the Student Health and Counseling Services. Works with staff to determine and advance the mission, goals and objectives of SHS, CAPS, and Health Promotion. Conducts strategic planning and long- range budget forecasting for these departments.
- Leads collaborative initiatives with other Student Affairs departments.
- Oversees the quality and relevance of staff development programs for assigned medical and clinical staff members.
Medical Director Role (25%)
- Provides clinical oversight of SHS and oversight of the SHS Associate Director.
- Administers direct medical care, including diagnosis and treatment to patients utilizing acceptable standards of care as guidelines.
- Ensures efficiency, patient flow, teamwork and patient satisfaction, comprehensive quality review program, risk reduction, peer review, and serves as the chair for the Credentialing Committee.
- Responsible for the coordination of care with the local department of public health, local hospital and area physicians.
- Ensures the SHS is providing health services that support the recreation and athletics department.
- Directly responsible for the medical practice of health care providers, including physicians, physician assistants, medical assistants, and nurses. Ensures adequate staffing for SHS operations and the delivery of health care.
- Provides direct advice to the Governing Body regarding issues related to the implementation and evaluation of strategic medical services and policies, and regarding medical personnel concerns.
- Oversees the supervision of all medical and technical staff, ensuring compliance with all university human resources policies; participates in the recruitment, training, and evaluation of medical staff.
- Serves in a teaching capacity and resource person for the development of other health care workers, individual patients, volunteers, and groups.
- Supervise laboratory services to ensure recommended laboratory standards, and compliance with CLIA.
- Facilitates emergency preparedness of SHS. Develops appropriate emergency protocols and train staff in their use. Coordinates and advises SHS’s involvement in campus community disaster preparedness.
- Serves as Chair of the Quality Improvement Committee, and participates on other committees, as assigned.
- Provides consultation and leadership in response to health concerns to the campus community.
Clinical Care (Not more than 40%)
- Provides direct patient primary care and continuing care in accordance with standardized procedures and consistent with community standards and UCM SHS policies and procedures.
- Performs professional patient care medical services. Examine and diagnose patients. Prescribes and administers medical treatment. Orders examinations, analysis, x-rays, physical therapy and prescription drugs. Performs minor surgical procedures.
- Advocates for preventive medicine and public health measures.
- Maintains patient records and reports according to standards required by the State, University and SHS.
- Respects and guards the confidentiality of patients and staff in all aspects of clinical care, documentation, and correspondence.
Other duties as assigned include but are not limited to (10%)
- Participates in the orientation of new employees.
- Conducts staff development programs, presides at consultative or clinical conferences, implements HR-related actions associated with hiring, development and discipline of staff members according to campus policies and procedures, and works closely with Labor Relations to ensure support of collective bargaining agreements.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- M.D. or D.O. degree from an accredited medical school.
- Board certification in an appropriate specialty.
- Eligibility for or possession of a current unrestricted license to practice medicine in the State of California.
- Minimum of 7 years of post-doctoral, direct clinical experience.
- Experience managing a large unit or multiple units, and at least 3 years of experience in clinical administration, including supervisory experience of professional staff and personnel management.
- Experience effectively managing HR and fiscal resources.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills, including the ability to convey clinical information in accessible terms to a variety of audiences and to secure and/or provide information to clarify situations, resolve problems, and communicate policy decisions.
- Experience as a systems thinker with a strategic mindset that aligns with the direction of an integrated student health and wellness service.
- Experience working with a diverse population; demonstrated professionalism and cultural competence with awareness of and sensitivity to racial, cultural, religious, socio-economic, gender and sexual orientation diversity.
- Experience with use of Electronic Health Records (EHRs) and electronic patient management systems.
UC Merced has partnered with Keeling & Associates, LLC in this search process. Applications should include a resume/curriculum vitae and a cover letter addressing your interest and qualifications for the position. Application materials must be sent, preferably as PDFs, to recruiting@KeelingAssociates.com with the subject heading “UC Merced – AVP/Medical Director.” Review of candidates will begin immediately, and all materials received by October 24, 2019, will receive full consideration.
Confidential inquiries and nominations should be addressed to the K&A senior consultant leading this search, Dr. Jan Walbert, at jwalbert@KeelingAssociates.com.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and invites applications from all qualified applicants, including women, minorities, veterans, and individual with disabilities, who will enrich the teaching, research and public service missions of the university. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy, see: UC Nondiscrimination & Affirmative Action Policy (https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/DiscHarassAffirmAction).
To download the position profile, click here.