Washington University in St. Louis is pleased to invite applications and nominations for the position of Executive Director of the Habif Health and Wellness Center. This is an extraordinary leadership opportunity for a visionary healthcare professional with superb management and leadership credentials and experience to lead a comprehensive and integrated student health center at one of the most highly regarded and selective private research universities in the nation. The Executive Director provides senior leadership, oversight, and direction for the programs, services, and operations of the Habif Health and Wellness Center, serving a globally diverse student population of approximately 15,000 undergraduates, graduates, and professional students.
The position requires a strategic-minded leader with a strong understanding of and appreciation for the multidimensional aspects of health and wellness for college students. Competitive candidates will have the knowledge, skills and preparation to lead a comprehensive and integrated health and wellness program with a goal of becoming one of the nation’s premiere programs. The Executive Director will provide a vision for the future and will foster new opportunities for innovation and partnerships with colleagues across all areas in the Division of Student Affairs, throughout the University, and with external community partners. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated commitment to outstanding, student-centered healthcare in higher education, and a significant and visible record of being an inspirational leader and an effective administrator.
The Executive Director provides visionary and strategic leadership for a holistic, multidisciplinary approach to student health and wellness. This position is responsible for supervising and leading the following departments within the Habif Health and Wellness Center: Medical Services, Mental Health Services, and Health Promotion Services.
The Executive Director, in consultation with the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs and reporting to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Support and Wellness, is responsible for all decisions related to policy development, fiscal management, direction of all staff, and the implementation and adherence to all University and Health Center policies. The Executive Director collaborates closely with colleagues throughout the Habif Center and the Division of Student Affairs as well as with other campus and community stakeholders to ensure the delivery of high quality health, mental health, along with preventive care and services to students in alignment with institutional and Student Affairs’ goals, purposes, and priorities.
The Executive Director is responsible for services and resources, policies and procedures, and programs and communications that address the holistic needs of health and wellness of all Washington University students. The Executive Director manages a $5 million budget and is responsible for approximately 40 full-time employees (including 3 direct reports) and 10 part-time employees. In addition, the Executive Director will serve as a campus leader on all aspects of advocating for students’ health and wellness, creating a healthy campus culture, and developing and maintaining a highly qualified staff with a strong morale.
Other responsibilities include:
- Providing leadership for compassionate and culturally responsive care that fulfills the holistic needs of health and wellbeing of all Washington University students.
- Facilitating and maintaining a culture of intentional collaboration and integration to promote teamwork and enhance the provision of excellent patient care and satisfaction.
- Being accountable for the overall strategic and operational planning and oversight of the Habif Health and Wellness Center, including evaluation of Medical Services, Mental Health Services, Pharmacy, and Health Promotion Services.
- Maximizing operational efficiencies to provide the highest level of clinical services.
- Ensuring compliance with the policies and procedures of the Habif Health and Wellness Center and Washington University as well as with the policies and standards of all appropriate and relevant regulatory and accrediting bodies.
- Monitoring compliance with federal, state, local and university regulations to ensure implementation of effective clinical and pharmacy services.
- Overseeing the administrative operations for the Habif Health and Wellness Center, including providing strong budget and fiscal administration.
- Collaborating with University and community entities that assist in promoting, maintaining, and sustaining the overall health and wellness of the Washington University campus
- Understanding and responding to the needs of the University’s diverse and global student population, including a commitment to a diverse and inclusive workforce.
- Overseeing and promoting strong workforce development through recruitment and retention, employee satisfaction, and engagement.
- Maintaining a strong relationship with the WU School of Medicine for staff development and patient care.
- Communicating with parents regarding critical medical and mental health concerns.
- Overseeing implementation of the American College Health Association’s National College Health Assessment (every three years).
- Promoting and supporting efforts intended to ensure environmental stewardship.
- Ensuring the continual improvement, maintenance, and sustainability of the Habif Health and Wellness Center and the Zenker Wellness Suite in the Sumers Recreation Center.
- Monitoring patient utilization and financial performance in each Health Center department on an ongoing basis.
- Overseeing the student-operated Emergency Support Team (paramedics) and the Peer Health Education program and encouraging collaboration with all health-related student groups and department initiatives on campus.
- Understanding and implementing compliance with State, Federal laws related to healthcare, knowledge of all University policies related to management of the Habif Health and Wellness center.
- Coordinating campus emergency preparedness and response, including management of and effective communication about public health issues.
- Leading or supporting, as designated, negotiations for the University-sponsored health insurance plan and overseeing management of the plan.
- Serving on various departmental, divisional, university, state and/or national committees.
- A master’s degree in degree in Health Administration, Public Health, Business Administration or an appropriately related field.
- At least seven years of relevant progressive leadership experience that includes demonstrated success in the management and supervision of health, mental health, or health promotion services, or a closely related area of health care practice and administration.
- A proven track record of leadership in a diverse environment.
- Current understanding of health care confidentiality, risk management, and legal practices.
- Knowledge of integrated care and openness to working within an integrated model.
- Experience in budget and personnel management in a healthcare environment.
- Experience with Electronic Health Records.
- Genuine appreciation for student development theory and a holistic, multidisciplinary approach to student health.
- Strong leadership, communication, interpersonal, and public speaking skills, including the ability to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Doctorate in an appropriate field.
- Ten years of progressive experience in higher education leadership.
- Understanding of and direct experience in a college or university student health, mental health or health promotion setting.
About Washington University in St. Louis
Application and Nomination
Washington University in St. Louis has partnered with Keeling & Associates, LLC for this search. A confidential review of materials will begin February 2, 2018, and all applications received by February 9, 2018 will receive full consideration. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Applications should include a letter of interest clearly addressing the position requirements, and a resume or curriculum vitae. Materials must be sent, preferably as PDFs, to email@example.com with the subject heading “WashU Executive Director.”
Confidential nominations and inquiries prior to application should be directed to Dr. Jan Walbert, Vice President and Senior Consultant for Executive Search, Keeling & Associates, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University is committed to the principles of diversity, inclusion, and affirmative action and to equal opportunity policies and practices. As an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status. Washington University is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community.