To download the position profile, Click here.
Excellent Opportunity for a Proven Student Affairs Leader
Wayne State College, a comprehensive college in Nebraska devoted to student success and regional service, is pleased to invite applications and nominations for the position of Vice President for Student Affairs. The College is seeking a strong leader who can perform at a high level administratively while also developing connections with the student body that support success and completion. The successful candidate will be an experienced Student Affairs professional who can effectively manage a broad portfolio of departments, serve as a member of the senior leadership team of the College, and manage change in a dynamic environment.
Wayne State College seeks a leader who is able to develop a comprehensive strategic plan and direction for Student Affairs; build strong partnerships across campus and in the local community; identify and implement innovative approaches to addressing student needs; collect, analyze, and share data and information to support new programs and approaches; actively promote an inclusive community for all students; be visible and engaged with students, staff, and faculty; understand and support the departments within the position’s portfolio; and further develop strategies to retain students and facilitate degree completion. This is an extraordinary opportunity for an experienced and visionary leader to embrace the role in the campus community and make a positive difference in the lives of students and in the future of an institution.
Wayne State College
Located in Northeast Nebraska, Wayne State College has educated students for over 100 years. One of three members of the Nebraska State College System, the College distinguishes itself by providing educational excellence in a small, personalized setting. The beautiful 128-acre campus serves 3,306 students who have a choice of over 90 majors. Dr. Marysz Rames was appointed President of Wayne State College in June 2015, having previously served as a Vice President for Student Affairs. President Rames leads with great energy and passion. As a result, the College has launched new programs and engaged in projects to attract new students and to support those who enroll. With a commitment to service, student success, and providing an exceptional education at an affordable cost, Wayne State has been the recipient of a number of awards, honors, and distinctions. The entire community is focused on making Wayne State a great place for students to thrive and advance their futures, and there is a collective sense of excitement about the future of the College.
The Vice President for Student Affairs serves as the College’s senior student affairs officer. The VPSA provides leadership, vision, and direction to the programs and services within Student Affairs which include: Athletics, Bookstore, Campus Dining, Campus Security, Career Services, Counseling, Holland Student Success Center (academic support services), Multicultural Affairs and International Programs, Recreation Services, Residential Life, Student Health, Student Activities and Student Center, and TRIO Student Support Services.
The Vice President is responsible for creating, leading, and supporting an environment that promotes student growth and development. A major focus of the position is creating student experiences and engagement opportunities that retain students and facilitate degree completion.
Specific duties include:
- Providing vision, direction, and leadership for Student Affairs
- Leading strategic planning for Student Affairs in a manner that improves accountability, sustainability, and effectiveness of the various units, and overseeing and managing the implementation of the plan
- Hiring and supervising professional and support staff to carry out the Student Affairs and institutional missions
- Applying best practices in all areas of Student Affairs, and providing innovative approaches to responding to and supporting student priorities
- Serving as an advocate for student welfare; providing advisement to the student government
- Encouraging and supporting a campus community that values and supports diverse thoughts and viewpoints
- Incorporating initiatives to support and enrich the commitment to diversity and developing strategies to enhance genuine inclusion across campus
- Working collaboratively with the College’s leadership to develop strategies for enhancing student recruitment and retention
- Collaborating with faculty and academic leadership on programs and initiatives that support student learning
- Promoting a culture of assessment and continuous improvement in Student Affairs, and making evidence-based decisions regarding Student Affairs programs and services
- Developing and providing oversight for all budgets in the unit
- Keeping the President apprised of critical student life issues
- Developing and maintaining partnerships with campus, alumni, and local community stakeholders
- Providing leadership in interpreting and implementing Nebraska State College System (NSCS), state, and federal policies and regulations related to student services
- Providing leadership and programming oversight for contracted services (campus dining and bookstore)
The position reports to the President and is a member of the administrative management team and cabinet. Reporting to the Vice President are the Assistant Dean of Students & Title IX Coordinator, Student Health Nurse, Office Assistant III, and the Directors of: Academic Success Center; Athletics (NCAA Division II); Career Services; Counseling; Multicultural Affairs and International Programs; Student Activities and Student Center; TRIO Student Support Services.
- Master’s degree in higher education administration, student affairs, or other relevant field; doctorate preferred
- Seven years of experience in Student Affairs that demonstrates increasing administrative and management responsibilities and scope
- Demonstrated experience in strategic planning, staff supervision and management, fiscal oversight, and facility planning
- Strong operational and business management skills that foster a climate of data driven decision making from knowledge of best practices in Student Affairs
- Understanding of and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Excellent communication, team building, and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to relate to and work with a range of professional staff, faculty, senior administrative colleagues, students, parent and guardians, alumni, and off-campus constituencies
Application Procedure and Timeline
Wayne State College has engaged Keeling & Associates, LLC to support this search. Application materials should include a resume and a letter of interest and must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line of the email should read “WSC VPSA.” A confidential review of applications will begin on March 13, 2018 and all materials submitted by that date will receive full consideration.
Confidential nominations, expressions of interest, and requests for conversations about the position prior to application are welcome and should be directed to Jeff Ewing, Senior Consultant for Executive Search, at email@example.com.
The Nebraska State Colleges are equal opportunity institutions and do not discriminate against any student, employee, or applicant on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, religion, or age in employment and education opportunities. Each College has designated an individual to coordinate the Colleges’ non-discrimination efforts to comply with regulations implementing Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act, Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. Inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies and practices may be directed to the Compliance Coordinators assigned at each College and identified on each College website.